Sunday, June 27, 2010

Vintage Art - Shag



Dont you just love creativity? I love it when people take something and put a new spin on it, or do something with new flare, new life.......


"Originality is not doing something no one else has ever done,
But doing what has been done countless times with new life, new breath"
 
And this pretty much sums up the art of Josh Agle aka Shag. To me there is something indefinably familiar about his works, yet they are fresh and captivating every time I see them.
 

Full of colour, mood, depth and frequently with a sense of humour or statement to make. They take my breath away. Women are sophisticated, men are suave, surroundings are usually lavish and sumptuous....it is all like some early James Bond film.
 
I have my dear friends Travis and Belinda to thank for introducing me to his very 1960's 'lounge culture'  and Tiki style work. As Josh says....
 
 
"Most of my paintings are set in the middle of a story or situation - charactors are interacting and reacting to each other and to outside events"
 
 
This makes his works full of life and activity. If these works captivate you as they do me, they can be purchased online at numerous galleries, but the best online site to go is Shag's own home page.
 






3 comments:

  1. so cool...love them all

    Cherie x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously cool art, and some of his newer stuff is quite dark. Well worth a visit to Outre Gallery in Meblourne and Sydney to check out his work.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails